4WD Important Information!
- Engage hubs and 4WD before driving on the sand.
- Check the tyre pressure (as too much air in the tyres can bog the vehicle in the sand.
- Bring a spare tyre.
- Always check tide times when travelling on the beach. (Rule of thumb to keep in mind - 3 hours before and 3 hours after high tide.
- Don't travel on the beach at night.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions and ask or listen to advice.
All road rules apply when driving on the beach and tracks.
4WD Vehicle access fee to Fraser Island and camping fees are charged. You need to purchase permits from National Parks.
Getting to Fraser Island
Vehicle barges and passenger ferry are managed privately and operate daily.
Foot passengers can travel on any vehicle barge or ferry service.
Barges/Ferries operate from
Mary River Heads to Kingfisher Bay
Mary River Heads to Wanggoolba Creek
Urangan to Moon Point
Inskip Point to Hook Point
All roads on Fraser Island are sand tracks.
There is no pharmacy or resident doctor, although a Queensland Ambulance Service station operates from Happy Valley during peak visitor periods and an air ambulance is available for emergencies.
No Pets are allowed on Fraser Island.